Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Continue Learning - Continue Growing

When I was in school, I remember saying, how nice it would be to be in adulthood - no more books after books to study and facts to memorize! These were the thoughts, and talks my friends and myself had. I guess it was the study pressure we had then, and also because we couldn't see the value in some of the subjects we learnt.

But looking back - whatever I've learnt in school, although some not used directly in my career/ life now, however, it does play a part or role in some decisions I make.

For example, the accounting methods I learnt are still useful in my business. And the languages are never so important until now - how I realised that good communication (verbal and written) is important in building a lasting relationship with families, friends, and business associates.

In addition, History allows us to know the past and how it has shaped the present. This will be useful in understanding both our and others' culture and background. And this deeper understanding will enable us to relate to others better. The list just goes on...

And the growth and sklls are also learnt through extra corricular activities like from organising activities/ events to dealing with other commmittee members. These skills help in shaping my interactions and decisions today.

Although now that I've graduated from school and learning is no more a 'must', but I believe that it is good to continue to learn new skills and new things that can help us in any or every aspect of our life.

Earlier today, one of my friends told me about a new book she has just started reading. From the way I see it, this lady do not need to read any books - she's already so successful in her business! But I too believe that this book will continue to reinforce her skills and also add something new to her.

And I know of many successful people who continue reading books which can help improve their lives - relationships or business.

The thing about learning is that it not only falls within books, but also by attending seminars, classes, or just by pure observations (eg. on people's behaviour patterns, how companies and organisations work) and also from our daily conversations (both 'light' and 'heavy'). And even more interesting is that I learn something new each day from work from designing to printing etc.

So, go on and continue to learn and grow with each new day. Pick up a new skill, a new hobby, or anything that you think will add value in your life - now or future!

1 comment:

  1. We never stop learning till the day we leave the world. Everyday is a new challenge for us to face. Hehe. I didn't know you had blospot Couz Vinnie. Anyways, gonna add your blog to my list of blogs. Drop by mine is you like (http://faerie-lady.blogspot.com/) and hope to hear from you sometime soon :-)

    ReplyDelete

Oh hey, thank you for commenting! :)